What’s the role of our schools in treating mental health?


Ruiz Family

Schools have long screened for common problems like dyslexia or poor eyesight. But screening for trauma and chronic stress is rare. 

A pilot program at the Los Angeles Unified School District surveyed students for trauma-related mental health problems at four schools. It found 81 percent had experienced three or more traumatic events in the last year. The other 19 percent experienced one, two or zero.

Has your child experienced trauma – and did the school help him or her? 

Help shape KPCC's coverage by sharing your insights. We read every response and they all help contribute to KPCC's journalism. Responses are confidential. If you're willing to be public with your responses, though, look for the permission buttons below and click yes.